Connecting to a GitHub Git Repository
This process requires an existing GitHub git repository. Look for the
the GitHub repository URL on the repository project page.
Use this information to connect the GitHub git repository to your Jira server via Git
Integration for Jira add-on.
Setting Up GitHub Permissions
We recommend using a "service user" in GitHub (example: "GitIntegrationforJira") to
be used to integrate GitHub with the Git Integration for Jira add-on. This
dedicated "service user" will allow the GitHub administrator to set permissions so
the add-on clones only the desired repositories.
Assign GitHub permissions for team members or collaborators to allow which resources are accessible
for service users. This feature is only available in a GitHub Organization.
Default Repository Permission
- Login to your GitHub.com account.
- Go to Settings.
- Under Organization settings, click Member Privileges.
Choose the default permission level for organization members. The default
repository permission only applies to organization members and not to outside
collaborators. If the default permission is set to None, organization
members will need to be given access to repositories using the Teams or Collaborators
methods (see below).
- Save the changes.
For more information, see Access Permissions on GitHub.
Teams and Collaborators
To give a member additional access, they must be added to a team or make them collaborators on individual repos.
Set default repository permission for the current team:
- Open an organization team. (Your org > Team > scroll down to the bottom then click the desired team.)
- Click the Repositories tab.
- Set Read, Write or Admin repository access as desired.
Assign members to a team on your GitHub repository:
- Create a team in your GitHub Organization.
- Invite a member to add it into the team. An email invitation is sent to that GitHub service user.
The service user is then added to the team if the invitation has been accepted.
- Click the service user to manage permissions for this member to:
Click Manage access to manage repository access for this member.
- Set desired Role for this member.
- Convert this member to outside collaborator.
- Give this member access to organization repositories.
- Remove this member from the team.
For more information on organization teams, see GitHub: Organizing Members into Teams.
For more information on inviting collaborators, see Inviting Collaborators to a Personal/Organization Repository.